Two charged in homicide

Two men were arrested shortly after shooting a third man in the woods beneath the Jackman Avenue bridge in Avalon Tuesday night.Although the victim made it out of the woods, he collapsed on South Starr Avenue and died later at Allegheny General Hospital.

A call to the Allegheny County 9-1-1 Center at 7:57 p.m. reported that a man had just walked out of the nearby “alley” with blood all over his back. Bellevue Police were dispatched to the area of South Starr and West avenues. They reported finding the 32-year-old victim -- whose identity has not yet been officially released by Allegheny County Police -- collapsed with gunshot wounds to the back and arm.

Police say he had been shot four times with a .22 caliber Ruger handgun. They believe he was attempting to reach the critical center located in the former Suburban General Hospital building.

Two men seen coming out of the woods were detained by police, Allegheny County Police homicide detectives later charged both of those men in connection with the shooting.

Musa Ramadhan Muya, 20, of Perrysville, has been charged with first degree homicide and a violation of the Uniform Firearms Act, carrying a gun without a license. He is being held without bail in the Allegheny County Jail and is scheduled for a preliminary hearing on Oct. 3.

Salim Hamadi Salim, 20, of Avalon, was charged with tampering with evidence and carrying a weapon without a license. He is scheduled for a preliminary hearing before local district judge Tara Smith on Sept. 27.

Police say the three men had been shooting the gun in the woods when they sent the victim to get beer. When he returned with the wrong beer, police say, he was shot by Muya.

Salim’s charges stem from the report that he attempted to hide the gun in the woods. An Allegheny County crime scene unit and K-9 were dispatched to the woods, and police say they found both the gun and blood evidence.

Police say the victim had been shot four times.

Avalon Police Chief Tom Kokoski said that his department had received no reports of shots fired in the woods before the victim was shot, but noted that the small caliber gun would not make much noise. He credited the quick resolution of the case to “good police work and good luck.”