Golden Beavers devour Northgate


The Northgate Flames (2-4, 2-5) travelled to Western Beaver (5-2, 6-2) last Saturday afternoon with the hopes of picking up a much needed conference win, but the Golden Beavers' line, averaging almost 300 lbs., dominated the line of scrimmage. The 47 - 12 loss marks a three-game skid for the Flames. After the game, Coach T.J. Wiley said, “As the game wore on, with their size, they just wore us down, and there was nothing we could do.”

Early on, it looked like the game was going to be an offensive shoot-out, as the Flames matched the Golden Beavers' scores. Western Beaver went on offense first, and they went 73 yards on 10 plays to make the score 6 - 0 with 7:23 left in the first quarter.

When the Flames went on the offensive, they mixed it up by running Anthony Barbarino and throwing to Jacian Sustayta and Gary Hairston. Starting on their 44, Chris Davin's first pass fell incomplete, but he went right back to the air, hitting Sustayta to cross midfield and move the chains into the Beavers' territory. From the 45, Davin again went to Sustayta for a 19 yard pick-up and another first down. An off-sides penalty on the Beavers moved the ball to the 19. And, from there, Davin connected with Sustayta for yet another first down, and then with Hairston to get to the six. Knocking on the door, Barbarino pounded the Beavers' line, carrying it to the one and picking up a first down. From there, Barbarino powered his way in for a Northgate score. The extra point kick was blocked, but the score was tied 6 - 6 with 4:33 left in the quarter.

The Beavers answered back by going 86 yards in 11 plays to score their next TD with 11:27 on the clock in the second quarter. Their two-point conversion was good, and they were up 14 - 6.

Northgate came right back at them, again mixing it up with the run and the pass. E.J. Williams returned the Beavers' kick to the Flames' 47, and a roughing the passer call against the Beavers moved Northgate across midfield to the Western Beaver 38. An interference call on the next play moved the Flames down to the 21. From there, Davin threw to Hairston for a first down, and the Flames were looking at a 1st-and-goal from the nine. Paul Morris ran hard on the next play, carrying defenders down to the two-yard line, and Barbarino capped it off, running it in for a Northgate TD with 8:26 left in the second quarter. The extra point kick was no good and the Flames were still down 14 - 12.

Unfortunately, the Flames would not see the end zone the rest of the game. The Beavers scored on their next possession to make the score 22 - 12, and added a field goal with time running out in the half to make the halftime score 25 - 12.

The Beavers added to their lead in the third quarter by tacking on three more scores. The fourth quarter was played with the mercy rule in effect, and both teams remained scoreless to finish the game with a final score of 47 - 12. Wiley said later, “I felt the scheme that we came up with worked, we were moving the ball well, but we stopped ourselves.” Three interceptions and a fumble played pivotal roles in Northgate's attempts to get out of the hole.

The Flames play host to the Knights from Summit Academy tomorrow at Northgate Alumni Field, the game is scheduled for noon.